Research in my Health and Cognition Laboratory at WSU focuses on elucidating the potentially beneficial and detrimental effects of chronic cannabis use and acute cannabis intoxication. Our current and recent work focuses on examining links between cannabis use and mental health (e.g., ADHD, PTSD, OCD, depression, anxiety), physical health (e.g., headache, pain, sleep), stress, and cognition (e.g., memory, decision-making, executive functioning, creativity). Further, we are interested in examining effects of cannabis with different concentrations of THC and CBD as well as effects of cannabis concentrates to better understand their influence on mental health, physical health, and cognition.
- Cuttler, C., Spradlin, A., Cleveland, M., & Craft, R.M. (in press). Short- and long-term effects of cannabis on headache and migraine. The Journal of Pain. doi: 10.1016/j.jpain.2019.11.001
- Spradlin, A., Marcus, D. K., & Cuttler, C. (in press). The latent structure of cannabis misuse: A taxometric analysis. Psychological Assessment.
- Freels, T. G., Baxter-Potter, L. N., Lugo, J. M., Glodosky, N. C., Wright, H. R., Baglot, S., Petrie, G., Yu, Z., Clowers, B. H., Cuttler, C., Fuchs, R. A., Hill, M. N., & McLaughlin, R. J. (2020). Vaporized cannabis extracts have reinforcing properties and support conditioned drug-seeking behaviour in rats. Journal of Neuroscience, 401897-1908. doi: 10.1523/jneurosci.2416-19.2020
- Glodosky, N.C., & Cuttler, C. (2020). Motives matter: Cannabis use motives moderate the associations between stress and negative affect. Addictive Behaviors. doi: 10.1016/j.addbeh.2019.106188
- LaFrance, E.M., Glodosky, N., Bonn-Miller, M. & Cuttler, C. (2020). Short and long-term effects of cannabis on symptoms of post-traumatic stress disorder. Journal of Affective Disorder, 274, 298-304. doi: 10.1016/j.jad.2020.05.132
- Petrucci, A., LaFrance, E. M., & Cuttler, C. (2020). A comprehensive examination of the links between cannabis use and motivation. Substance Use & Misuse, 55, 1155-1164. doi: 10.10826084.2020.1729203
- LaFrance, E. M., Stueber, A., Glodosky, N. C., Mauzay, D., & Cuttler, C. (2020). Overbaked: Assessing and predicting adverse reactions to cannabis. Journal of Cannabis Research, 2, 1-10. doi: 10.1186/s42238-019-0013-x.
- Cuttler, C., Spradlin, A., Nusbaum, A.T., Whitney, P., Hinson, J.M., McLaughlin, R. (2019). Joint effects of stress and chronic cannabis use on prospective memory. Psychopharmacology, 236, 1973-1983. doi: 10.1007/s00213-019-5184-9
- Sexton, M., Cuttler, C., & Mischley, L. (2019). A survey of acute effects of cannabis and withdrawal symptoms. Differential responses across user types and age. Journal of Alternative and Complementary Medicine, 25, 326-335. doi: 10.1089/acm.2018.0319
- Spradlin, A., & Cuttler, C. (2019). Problems associated with using cannabis to cope. Cannabis, 2, 29-38. doi: 10.26828/cannabis.2019.01.001
- ‡Cuttler, C., ‡Sexton, M., & Mischley, L. (2018). Driving under the influence of cannabis: An examination of driving beliefs and practices of medical and recreational cannabis users in the United States. Cannabis, 1, 1-13. doi: 10.26828/cannabis.2018.02.001
- Cuttler, C., Spradlin, A., & McLaughlin, R. J. (2018). A naturalistic examination of the perceived effects of cannabis on negative affect. Journal of Affective Disorders, 235, 198-205. doi: 10.1016/j.jad.2018.04.054
- Wilson, M., Gogulski, H. Y., Cuttler, C., Bigand, T. L., Oluwoye, O., & Barbosa-Leiker, C. (2018). Cannabis use moderates the relationship between pain and negative affect in adults with opioid use disorder. Addictive Behaviors, 77, 225-231. doi: 10.1016/j.addbeh.2017.10.012
- Cuttler, C., & Spradlin, A. (2017). Measuring cannabis consumption: Psychometric properties of the Daily Sessions, Frequency, Age of Onset, and Quantity of Cannabis Use Inventory (DFAQ-CU). PLOS ONE. 12(5): e0178194 doi: 10.1371/journal.pone.0178194
- Cuttler, C., Spradlin, A., Nusbaum, A. T., Whitney, P., Hinson, J. M. & McLaughlin, R. J. (2017). Blunted stress reactivity in chronic cannabis users. Psychopharmacology, 234, 2299-2309. doi: 10.1007/s00213-017-4648-z
- LaFrance, E., & Cuttler, C. (2017). Inspired by Mary Jane? Mechanisms underlying enhanced creativity in cannabis users. Consciousness and Cognition, 56, 68-76. doi: 10.1016/j.concog.2017.10.009
- Nusbaum, A.T., Whitney, P., Cuttler, C., Spradlin, A., Hinson, J. M., McLaughlin, R. J. (2017). Altered attentional control strategies in chronic cannabis users. Drug and Alcohol Dependence, 181, 116-123. doi: 10.1016/j.drugalcdep.2017.09.019
- Spradlin, A., Mauzay, D., & Cuttler, C. (2017). Symptoms of obsessive-compulsive disorder predict cannabis misuse. Addictive Behaviors, 72, 159-164. doi: 10.1016/j.addbeh.2017.03.023
- Cuttler, C., Mischley, L., Sexton, M. (2016). Sex differences in cannabis use and effects: A cross-sectional survey of cannabis users. Cannabis and Cannabinoid Research, 1, 166-175. doi: 10.1089/can.2016.0010
- Sexton, M., Cuttler, C., Finnell, J., & Mischley, L. (2016). A cross-sectional survey of medical cannabis users: Patterns of use and perceived efficacy. Cannabis and Cannabinoid Research, 1, 131-138. doi: 10.1089/can.2016.0007